Everything we use and consume nowadays was created by someone else - be it cars, phones, TV, Facebook, or Tumblr. You may say that you’re not a programmer, an engineer, or a scientist.
But think about it, even the recipes of the food we eat everyday were created by someone else!
- What we call BBQ, Lasagne, Pad Thai, Teriyaki, Hollandaise sauce, Latte, Bircher Muesli were created by someone else. If someone gives a twist to a classically famous recipe, people think the food tastes weird - just because it doesn’t fit in with what is classically known. In a more open-minded, multi-national culture, if the flavours are done right, they call it ‘fusion’.
- What we call Burpee, Push-up, Lunges, Squats, Star Jump were created by someone else.
- Even all the words we use today to call ‘things’ were created by someone else.
Now you see what I’m saying? Everything around us was created or invented by someone else.
- Have you ever stopped and think for a second that maybe you can create a word that becomes a normal word that appears in the dictionary and is universally used and understood 10 years from now?
- Have you ever stopped and think for a second that if your passion is cooking then maybe you could mash up a few things together and create a new recipe with a new spanking name that becomes universally well-known, loved, and always gets ordered at restaurants? That maybe you could create a new sauce that 5 years from now gets picked up and sold in bottles by brand like Maggi or Heinz? That you don’t need to wait for these brands to come up with a new creation or a product line. That you could come up with it and if it tastes good, everybody loves it. You could give it a name and spread it around the world?
- Have you ever stopped and think for a second that if your passion was fitness then maybe you could come up with a new workout and give it a new name that 2 years from now all the gym freaks and personal trainers use in their normal routine like Burpee, Push-Ups, or Dips? That your new workout will get used by the trainers in the Biggest Loser and gets recommended in an article on Men’s Health? That a Dad would teach his little son how to do that workout with a proper form?
- Have you ever stopped and think for a second that you could come up with a new concept for a way of life? The lifestyle words like the American Dream. Minimalism, Paleo diet, Yogi, Mindfulness were all created by someone else. And you could come up with a new concept that becomes universally known too.
Is reading this giving you a chill?
Are you excited about the opportunities and what you could create when there’s no limit in the sky?
Is your head filled with ideas running around at the moment?
Are you a little scared and nervous thinking about all the possibilities?
Life is a zero sum game.
There are speakers and there are listeners.
There are employers and there are employees
There are fixed owners and there are passers-by.
There are the passionate and the passive.
There are the conceptual and the detail-oriented.
There are creators and there are consumers.
A lot of the time when we have an idea for something, we are blocked down by fears of competitions - it must already exist OR someone else could do it better.
But being a creator or an inventor doesn’t mean you need to turn your creation into a product to be sold. Being a creator means having a creator’s mindset. It is to believe that you can create, that you can invent, that you block out the conventional thinking and the norm about existing beings and names.
The ratio between creators : consumers maybe very low. But you don’t need to be working as a creative to create. You don’t need to work in tech to create.
You just need to stop simply following what you’re told to do or taught to do. You need to embrace a creator’s mindset.
The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can’t be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it.
- Elbert Hubbard
If you have a strong passion for something and you want to leave a footprint in this world, CREATE!